Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Why does software f#ck everything up?

I ended yesterday's post with this erudite statement.


Little did I know that this very fact would rear its ugly head tonight. I put a DVD in the drive on my PC tonight and nothing happened. The light on the drive lit for a few seconds and went out. The PC 'saw' the drive on boot up. But no disc - DVD Vid, data, CD Redbook would read. Checked the connections. Thought I had a dead drive, and was plotting a stop at Best Buy to pick up a replacement.


Then, old habits kicked in. Took a peek at Device Manager, and something was a foot. Yellow '!' for the DVD, and my two memory sticks. All had the same error. Bad or corrupt driver. I cut and pasted the error into my trusty google toolbar and viola the solution. What happened?? Don't know - I really use the DVD rarely, except to install software. Is tooling around in the Registry for the faint of heart - no. But thanks to the world of information on the internet, I was spared the expense of a new drive, and a phonecall to some support line.


No comments:

Post a Comment